Tom Bean, TX - Est. 1887
Official City Web Site
 
Navigation
Home
Directory
• Calendar
   • City Calendar
   • School Calendar
City Officers
Employment
Forms (court etc)
Records
»History
   • Past Mayors
News Archive
TBISD Board Briefs
Pictures
Links
CODE RED
Type A (CDC)
Type B (EDC)
Active Warrants
Police Activity
Municipal Court

View/Pay eBills
View/Pay eBills

Calendar
Today is Thursday, July 24, 2014. Here are the upcoming events for the next 30 days:

Aug 2, 2:00 PM
Genealogy
Aug 11, 6:00 PM
City Council Meeting
Aug 12, 7:00 PM
Planning and Zoning
Aug 14, 7:00 PM
Library
Aug 14, 7:00 PM
Economic Development
Aug 19, 7:00 PM
Community Development

Powered by Apache

Powered by MySQL

Powered by PHP

History

Founder
Marker [017-1] Taken from Regional Web

Thomas Bean, a wealthy Bonham landowner and surveyor, donated fifty acres of land in southeast Grayson County to be used for a branch railroad line from Sherman to Commerce. Bean died in 1887; in that year the city of Tom Bean was established. Nearby Whitemound, which was bypassed by the railroad, lost its post office to Tom Bean's city in 1888; many Whitemound settlers moved to the new town. Mr. Bean's estate began to sell town lots surrounding the railroad in the 1890s. The city school was moved in 1891 from a one-room structure to a two-story building with an auditorium. Several Christian denominations, including the Church of Christ, Baptist, Presbyterian, and Methodist, established churches in town. The city charter was signed in 1897 and the first mayor was Ice B. Reeves.

In the early days of the 20th century, the city boomed. Within a few years, it boasted a grain company, a furniture company, a drugstore, a newspaper called the Tom Bean Bulletin, a saloon, a dance hall, a movie theater, and the Tom Bean social club. As time progressed, the sharp increase in automobile travel and transport, and the decline of cotton as the principal crop of the area, led businesses to the larger cities of Denison and Sherman.

Though never again the railroad boomtown of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the community enjoyed a growth spurt in the 1950s and 1980s, celebrating its centennial in 1987. The city of Tom Bean continues to thrive.

Community History
From The Handbook of Texas Online

TOM BEAN, TEXAS. Tom Bean is on State Highway 11 and Farm roads 902 and 2729, ten miles southeast of Sherman in southeastern Grayson County. It was established in 1888 as a stop on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, and that year a post office opened there. The community was named for Tom Bean, a surveyor from Bonham, who, in hopes of enticing the rail line to extend its tracks across land that he owned in Grayson County, donated a fifty-acre tract for a town site and railroad right-of-way. The presence of the railroad drew settlers and businesses from the nearby community of White Mound, and by the early 1890s the incorporated town of Tom Bean had the post office and a school, a general store, a blacksmith shop, a cotton gin, and a weekly newspaper. By around 1900 its population stood at 299, and in the mid-1920s the town had a population of 367, with twenty businesses. In the mid-1950s Tom Bean had 286 people and eleven businesses. After the 1950s its population began to grow, reaching 570 by the mid-1970s and 926 in the late 1980s, when the town had four businesses. In 1990 Tom Bean reported 827 residents.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: Graham Landrum and Allen Smith, Grayson County (Fort Worth, 1960; 2d ed., Fort Worth: Historical Publishers, 1967).

Brian Hart

The Handbook of Texas Online


Recommended browsers: Mozilla and Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5 or higher).
Apache, MySQL, PHP, and associated logos are trademarks of their respective owners.
Site design and content copyright © 2008 City of Tom Bean unless otherwise noted.